X-MARINE

He who studies history shall know the future for all things come full circle.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Happy Birthday plus One

The Marine Corps at 229 and still going strong. Happy Birthday Marines! I will always look back fondly upon my time in the Corps where I grew up physically, mentally and spiritually. I didn't always like being there but I now know I made the right decision to join as I still draw upon its lessons after all these years.

We all thought of ourselves as men even though we we just a mere 18 years of age. Just boys really. I met some of the finest men while serving and will never forget them. Yes, some were jerks but most were decent beautiful young guys serving their nation under arms. To my pleasant surprise, a lot of them were faithful Christians who loved God, their Country and their Corps. Some of my happiest thoughts looking back was my first year in the Marines while in Gtmo, Cuba. My first time away from home I got to see what serving in the military really meant. It forced me to expand my thinking and to appreciate life more fully.

I still try to unofficially recruit young chaps to join the Marine Corps. They think I'm crazy I'm sure, but it holds so many possibilities for them once they are in. They may hate me after signing up and going through boot camp but I have a strong feeling they will thank me later.

If I had to do it all over again, I would still join and perhaps make more fun out of it than I originally had. Nothing like the comraderie of men when placed into harms way. Thank you Marine Corps for teaching me lifes valuable lessons.

Semper Fidelis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home